Sunday 19 October 2014

June Wrap Up

This post has just been sitting here unpublished for months. So I thought I'd just post it, at the time I put quite a bit of effort into it, I just never finished it. So, if you're interested, my June Wrap Up. In October.

So June was a very busy month for me, I had all of my uni assessments due in the last couple of weeks which was super stressful, because I'm not the most organised person. Somehow they were all completed, and I somehow was able to read some books at the same time.

The first book I read this month was:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
★★★
 No, I am not a complete idiot. I *have* read TFIOS before. This was my third time reading the book as the movie was released this month! *Angel choir sings*. The book is amazing, the movie is amazing. If you haven't read/watched it yet (I would recommend you read it first, as always), you definitely should. Definitely one of the best books of our generation. And, just randomly, I hate the title stylised as TFiOS. I'm looking at you, John Green. [GOODREADS]


Severed Heads, Broken Hearts by Robyn Schneider
★★★
(The cover is so similar to TFIOS its weird)
(It has also come to my attention that this book is also called The Beginning of Everything, which, if you ask me, is so much boring-er than my one)

This was a book I was definitely not expecting to like as much as I did. A contemporary, high school story with a bit of romance - this book was definitely an easy and enjoyable read. The characters were interesting but the plot was (at times) a bit predictable. This is definitley an under appreciated YA book, with a lot of heart, not unlike John Green's Paper Towns or Looking for Alaska. It had that same feel to it, like it was drawing you into the plot and the story without you even feeling like it. However, if you like action and story progression, you should probably steer clear. This is one of those books where not a lot happens in terms of a suspense building climax, but enjoyable and entertaining just the same. I would definitely recommend you pick it up. [GOODREADS]

City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6) by Cassandra Clare
★★★
It's over! It's all over! Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series is finally complete! But never fear because there are another 2938192812 spinoff series in the works, she'll be writing about the Shadowhunters until she DIES. Not that I'm complaining. The final book in the series was great! Loved the first half, and had such high expectations for it to get better, but I found part two dragged and was dull. I cried, I laughed, I threw the book away in anger (metaphorically speaking) and it was great. Clary and Jace's stories are over, and I truly think they're done. It was a good finale, but not as strong and perfect as Clockwork Princess, which is still my favourite of Clare's books, so far. Also, I do kind of feel like this is a bit of a pity 5 stars, and that I gave it purely because the series is over, and overall I give the series 5 stars? I don't know. Maybe it's really worth 4 1/2 stars. [GOODREADS]

Completed Series: The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
★★★


Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
★★★

I feel like there has been so much hype around the third book in this series on BookTube that I thought I'd better get around to reading it. I purchased this book from the Booktopia Sale last year for $2(!).

No comments:

Post a Comment